Thursday, February 17, 2011

Why I spend on my Valentines, and don't give a crap.

I love my girlfriend, I really do. But thats not to say that everyday is all rainbows and butterflies in our relationship. So it is imperative that I take an opportunity to really make a huge effort in making her realise that I love her to bits, and letting her know how much she means to me in my life.

Gasp, the PF world would say. Valentine's Day is a Hallmark Sham! Well yes, I know that much. But I don't give a crap. However, that is not to say I just get my credit card and go nuts.

This year I managed to do something special, something extraordinary for my Valentine. Forgoing spending it on a Monday night after work with the regular fancy restaurant, we opted to switch it to the Saturday before. Total cost? $192.17. And it was totally worth it.

I cooked breakfast in bed for her (getting up at 6am just to buy groceries and drive over), spent the day together lazying around, cooked dinner with her (which had its ups and downs, I don't usually cook) and then finished it off with an amazing massage (I'm good, real good) and then a candlelight bath.

I know that many would scoff at the idea of spluring so much on Valentine's Day, and how it could be better spent without the outrageous cost and the prerequisite dozen roses (At a slightly stinging $45) - but I disagree. The mere definition of personal finance lends to itself - its supposed to be personal. So I choose to scrimp on other things, in order to spend on others. There is no set rule, which is why when I go to www.pfblogs.org I am amazed at how many others preach about being frugal and cheap is the way to go. Its not if you choose to. In the end, I saved enough for this day and I enjoyed every bit of it.

Thats what personal finance should bring - enjoyment.

p.s. Remember those exciting things that I said I would do in regards to this blog? Well heres phase 1, follow me on twitter to keep updated with every single transaction I make! It'll definitely be transparent, no holds barred. So if you think i'm buying stupid things - tell me! I need all the support I can in turning my finances around!

No comments:

Post a Comment