Thursday, May 19, 2011

Opps, rambled on for a bit there...

What some of you may not have realised yesterday, was that the title of the blog post had no relevancy whatsoever as to what I was blogging about. That was because I got a little bit excited and went off on a pretty lengthy tangent. What I wanted to have meant with that title was that for probably a month now, my finances have been out of whack.

Like completely and inexcusably. Yes I can blame the CA exam (thank cuss its over), I can blame laziness, work, whatever - but what it really boils down to was that I dropped the ball. But that doesn't matter, because i'm picking myself up after the blow to the chin and dealing with it. Now excuse me whilst I try and recount all the expenses i've had in the past month.

Tick tock, tick tock.

And its done!

That took approximately a hour. A hour of my time I could've been doing other things, but had to because I procrastinated. A lesson learnt I suppose. I ended up not being able to allocate $34, which I just proportionately allocated across all my expense categories based on my annual budget (A nifty trick I learnt in my management accounting module). So whats my annual budget? After a bit of revision tonight and realising that I was definitely underbudgeting for some things, here it is!

Cash Drawings = $7,400, which is made up of

Travel = $1,400
Food at work = $500
Entertainment = $500
Alcohol = $500
Eating out = $2,500
Clothing = $500
Electronics = $0 (lets try and keep it this way)
Groceries = $500
Petrol = $200
Miscellaneous = $300

You can really see where my priorities lie don't you. EATING! I love being able to eat out, and I love taking my girl out to eat especially when shes had a week of home cooked pasta (although cost-effective, its definitely repetitive for her). A few of those budgets may seem a bit weird to you such as petrol, but that is because I only take the car out on weekends at most and don't really drive too often.

The kicker? I'm pretty much overbudget in all categories, with alcohol being all out of whack at the moment. Hopefully I can rein that spending in, but we shall see how I go with a great friend's 21st this weekend. Now that my finances are balanced again, I feel at peace. Its definitely a weird relaxing process that I take some joy in. Crazy huh? But then again, I am an accountant.

No comments:

Post a Comment